FDA Disclaimer: The statements made regarding these products and the efficacy of these products has not been confirmed nor evaluated by Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. They should not be used if pregnant or nursing without first consulting a physician. All information presented here is not meant as a substitute for or alternative to information from health care practitioners.
Is CBD Safe For Pets?
Written by Brian Davis, Quality Manager and Dog Dad at Bullhead Botanics.
- CBD is not only safe for pets, but it has shown to benefit pets in many different ways, supporting the relief of anxiety, stress, pain, seizures, and inflammatory issues.
- All mammals (including humans, dogs, and cats) have an endocannabinoid system that CBD helps to correct when it’s out of balance due to stress, pain, or inflammation.
- Pets can be given CBD when needed (thunderstorms, car trips, fireworks), or it can be used regularly to support pain, joint health, and mobility.
- CBD Pet Products should only be made with pet safe ingredients, and also be THC free.
This is my dog Boodie. He’s a 1 year old Elkhound Terrier mix I picked up at a rescue last year when he was 4 months old. He’s smart, curious, very people oriented and USUALLY listens very well. However, he’s still a puppy and his biggest struggle has been separation anxiety. As Elkhounds are very loyal and people oriented dogs, anytime he’s alone he becomes stressed out. This leads to howling like a wolf, scratching at the door, and the occasional destroyed pillow.
I did some research and went to the store to try some calming treats out, but they just didn’t seem to work well. This led me to developing a powerful CBD Pet Calming Chew of my own that would help calm him in times of solitude. Since then I’ve helped many dog owners find what’s right for them by doing the research and figuring out what actually works!
Here’s my findings and experience on how CBD can help your pet:
How CBD Works in Pets
All mammals have what’s called an Endocannabinoid system, a collection of neurotransmitters in the body that helps balance and maintain normal body function. CBD has been found to interact and help regulate this system almost identically in all mammals. This means that the same effects that a human experiences with CBD is very similar to what your dog or cat may feel. CBD for pets has the potential to support relief of anxiety, stress, pain, seizures, and inflammatory issues.
What CBD products work best for pets?
Since pets are sensitive to THC we want to avoid any products that might contain them. When a pet ingests THC, they can become intoxicated. They can become uncomfortable, disoriented, and dehydrated. For this reason, avoid any Full Spectrum Products meant for humans. Broad Spectrum CBD products can be used as long as test results are reviewed to make sure there is no THC content. CBD isolate products are my preferred form of CBD for pets.
When shopping for CBD for your pet, be careful and wary. I see a lot of expensive “hemp” treats out on the markets for dogs. These are usually overpriced treats made with hemp seed or hemp oil. If you look closely at the label, you’ll often find that they rarely ever contain any actual CBD at all. To learn how to spot legitimate CBD products out in the world, I suggest you read one of my other blog posts, What Makes a Quality CBD Product?
When Should I Give My Pet CBD?
Here’s a quick breakdown list of how to give your pet CBD, based on the most common conditions pet owners seem to face. As with all CBD dosing (including humans), start by giving them a small dose, and then increase the dose until you start to see an effect:
- For occasional anxiety/stress, give your pet 1mg-2mg per pound about an hour before being crated, a long car-ride, or stressful event (fireworks, thunderstorm, etc.)
- If your pet’s anxiety, stress, or aggressiveness is a daily or constant occurrence, you can give them their effective CBD dose once to twice a day.
- Other pet safe calming ingredients like L-Theanine, Melatonin, and Valerian Root Extract can work symbiotically with the CBD for an even better calming effect.
- Our Pet Calming Chews are a proven and potent blend of ingredients designed to ease your pet’s stress and anxiety.
Pain/Inflammation/Hip and Joint Issues
- For older or larger pets with mobility issues, I’ve found that they may need a larger dose to see an effect due to high level of inflammation. 1mg-4mg of CBD per pound once or twice a day can be effective.
- Other hip and joint supporting ingredients like Glucosamine, Green Lipped Mussel, and many others can help the effectiveness of keeping your pet pain free and mobile!
- Seizures are a very serious condition, please consult with your vet if you are trying to use CBD products to help your pet. Don’t treat without professional help.
- If you are finding that your pet isn’t being responsive to treatments, or may be experiencing severe side effects to traditional Seizure medication, talk to your vet and see if CBD may be a good alternative.
- Studies have shown that 1mg-2mg per pound given twice a day can help reduce frequency and occurrence of seizures down. (Citation1)
Have Questions about CBD for Your Pet?
Finding the right CBD product or plan for your pet can sometimes take a little trial and error. Unfortunately, our pets can’t tell us exactly what they’re experiencing or feeling. If you have any questions or concerns about supplementing your pet with CBD, never hesitate to Contact Me with any questions! Thanks for Reading!
US Veterinarians' Knowledge, Experience, and Perception Regarding the Use of Cannabidiol for Canine Medical Conditions